Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to some common questions people have when thinking of joining. If you have any other questions, please let us know - see the Contact Us page for details.
- How big is the club? The club is one of the biggest in the country and still growing rapidly. In 2014 we had over 500 members!
- Do I have to live in Manchester? We have members from Salford, Cheshire, Derbyshire and even a few overseas members. If you are willing to travel we are happy to count you as a member.
- How do I join? You can apply online for membership. You will need to complete a simple form and then make your payment using paypal.
- How much does membership cost? Prices for both Gold and Bronze membership are displayed on the application page.
- What are training vouchers and how do I buy them? Training vouchers are used by Bronze members to pay for training sessions - one voucher must be presented at each training session. To purchase training vouchers you need to login to the Members area then click on the Vouchers link. This will allow you to select the number of vouchers you wish to purchase (in blocks of three vouchers) before paying for them securely online using PayPal.
- Can I join if I only want to do duathlons as I don't like swimming? Yes. We have members who only do duathlons and a few who concentrate on only one sport.
- Do you cater for all ability levels? Yes. Every year we get absolute beginners joining the club, some who have never ridden a bike on the road before; we also have members who represent GB.
- Where can I get more information about the club? You can contact us with specific questions or use the forum. The forum is probably better as you will get a range of answers from different club members.
- Can I come to some training session to see if I like the club before joining? You are welcome to come along and talk to the new member contact. For insurance reasons, you are not allowed to train with us until you actually join.
- Do you do open water swim training? The Club does not itself organize open water swim sessions, however Club members often attend open water sessions at local venues such as Salford Quays and Boundary Water Park.
- What swim sessions do you do? There are coached swim sessions on every day of the week either at the Manchester Aquatics Centre, Moss Side Leisure Centre or Stretford Leisure Centre.
- What run sessions do you do? Track training is every Monday, 7.00-8.00pm and Wednesday, 6.30-8.00pm, at Longford Park Stadium in Stretford.
- What bike sessions do you do? In winter we have a weekly club ride on a Sunday morning at 9.00am. It starts from the clock-tower in Didsbury. In Summer the club rides stop but MTC members take part in 10 mile time trials put on by Westmead 88 on a Wednesday evening. There are also weekly turbo sessions.
- Can I go out on a club ride on a mountain bike? Yes you can use any bike. 1 or 2 riders use them but most will use a road bike with smooth tyres and drop handlebars.
- How far/fast do you go on a club ride. I'm afraid I will not be able to keep up. Club rides are from 30 to 50 miles, that's 2 to 31/2 hours. We usually go along at 15-18 mph. However we usually spilt in to groups of different abilities. We will all start together and ride as one group to get out of Manchester then split in to 2 or 3 depending on how many riders there are. The fast riders often go on a hillier ride than the slow group.
- Do I need a bike with mudguards? No. Although most cycling clubs insist you use mudguards for club runs in winter we don't. However they are a good idea as you will find when you ride behind a bike, without mudguards, in the wet!