MTC Training Weekend

Moderator: Stickiers

MTC Training Weekend

Postby Sarah Lees » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:46 pm

Training Weekend - Update

The weather is looking pretty good (if a little windy) and we've got 20 people all set for the swim, bike run fest that is the MTC training weekend this weekend!

Below is an insight on what is in store for the weekend, what to bring and most importantly, where we are going to drink beer:

Most people are aiming to arrive at the bunkhouse about 6pm on Friday. There is not much parking so please do arrange to share lifts where possible (see page 5 of this thread).

At 7pm we will be heading down into Hathersage village to the lovely pub Little John Hotel on Station Road (S32 1DD) for a meal (we're booked in for 7:30pm). The menu is fairly rustic fayre at reasonable prices. There isn't a (reliable) cash machine in Hathersage so you'll need to come armed with all the cash you need for the weekend.

On Saturday morning the first scheduled activity is a bike ride at 10am, though you may want to get your running shoes on to check out the local area before this. In the afternoon there will be an opportunity to do some off-road hill running and/or some flat running round the reservoir.

Saturday evening we'll be putting on a chilli feast catering for both vege and non-vege options. There is a shop to buy drinks from in Hathersage but you might want to bring some supplies with you.

On Sunday the main session is a 1hr swim at the Hathersage Lido, a heated open-air pool in the village, at 11am. Again no doubt some mad fools will want to have a go at taking their bikes up Snake Pass or pop out for another run on Sunday before heading home.

A list of what to bring to start you off...
Bike
Water bottles
Spare inner tubes
Running kit
Swimming kit
Bike kit
2 x Breakfast
lots of high energy snacks
food for lunch on Saturday
Sleeping bag
Pillow
Towel

I'm still looking for a couple of people to lead bike and runs so if you are able to volunteer or have any queries on any of the above, drop me a line on 07834 090 173.

Look forward to seeing you on Friday evening!
Sarah

DATE CONFIRMED: Friday 16th to Sunday 18th May !!

After huge success last year, the club is offering another MTC Training Weekend for 2008. I can now confirm the date will be the 16th-18th May.

The weekend will kick off with a meal on Friday evening and finish with a swim on Sunday afternoon. It is based in a pretty basic bunkhouse in the Peak District's beautiful Hope Valley and our top-notch MTC coaches put together a plan which caters for all abilities, with a choice of sessions including on- and off-road running, road cycling and a Sunday swim in Hathersage's heated open air pool.

Members of all ability from first-timers to old hands are welcome and the programme is flexible enough to suit all

The weekend costs 30 pounds including a meal on Saturday night. This link shows you a bit more about the accommodation http://www.thorpe-bunk.co.uk/about.html

We have The Hayloft, The Old Shippon and The Byre which together sleep 56 people. To book your place please send your cheque for 30 pounds to:

Sarah Klueter
37 Leach Street
Prestwich
Manchester
M25 3JA

We also need volunteers to help lead a cycle ride on Saturday (3-4 groups depending on numbers), runs in the afternoon and a coach for the swim on Sunday.

Any volunteers please let me know! (07834 090 173)

Thanks to everyone for your support on getting the date together.

Sarah
Last edited by Sarah Lees on Fri May 16, 2008 5:55 am, edited 5 times in total.
Sarah
Sarah Lees

Postby viv » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:54 pm

YEAH! Definately.

Usual format works great - a couple of rides to choose from sat and sun mornings, a hilly or flat run choice starting from the resevoir, swim on sunday pm and plently of food and beer.

Think i might book the friday pm off and not trust my GPS so much after the trauma of trying to drive up a footpath and then having to reverse back down it in the dark with no rear view last year :)
viv

Postby JPS » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:59 pm

I'd like to go on this, sounds good
"It never gets easier, you just go faster."
Greg LeMond
JPS

Postby AndyNorman » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm

I would also like to go on this. Was dissapointed to miss this years.
AndyNorman

Postby skip » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:44 pm

I'm up for this
skip

Postby Andy F » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:21 pm

Could be tricky for some as it's the Manchester 10K on the 18th May.
Were there any other dates available?
Andy
Andy F

Postby Sarah S » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:52 am

Up for it, for sure!
Sarah S

Postby brianm » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:30 pm

Last years was great count me in .
brianm

Postby Lauren C » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:30 pm

Is this weekend open to the less than super-human athletes?
Lauren C

Postby RichD » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:01 am

Count me too, last year was great.

I might actually use my climbing gear on the Mecca of Stanage this year if I'm fit enough not to collapse after Sunday's swim! And perhaps mountain bike on Sunday to add even more toys to be stowed in/on my car?
RichD

Next

Return to Events