Salford Quays Aquathlons
Promoted by Manchester Triathlon Club on behalf of Triathlon England North West
- 13/09/2013 2014 Dates announced
- 23/08/2013 Race 5 Results Paul Savage took his 3rd win of the series and Nic Rowley just edged out Emily Newton coming through on the run to win by just 9 seconds. That wraps it up for 2013, thanks to all our competitors and of course the organizers, timekeepers and marshals for their sterling work over the last 4 months. Results
- 02/08/2013 Race 4 Results Another balmy evening at the Quays and a good number of competitors opted to swim sans wetsuit (it was very close - 21.7C - to being a non-wetsuit race for all, maybe next time!). Congratulations to our winners - and also North West champions - Paul Savage and Nic Rowley. Results and plenty of photos on our Facebook page.
- 12/07/2013 Race 3 Results A beautiful summer's evening at the Quays last night and Stu Moore and Louise Whittaker were your race winners. Results
- 14/06/2013 Race 2 Results Looks like some close racing last night, Paul Savage and Kathy Wellam coming away with the wins. Results
- 23/05/2013 Race 1 Results Not exactly the warmest evening to kick off the aquathlon series but some good racing nonetheless. Congratulations to our winners Thomas Kneller and Helen Leigh, well done to all competitors and thanks to the organizers and marshalls. Results
All the info you need should be below, but any questions please send to email@example.com.
The popular Tuesday evening aquathlons at Salford Quays Watersports Centre return for 2014 on the following dates:
- Tuesday 3 June
- Tuesday 24 June
- Tuesday 15 July
- Tuesday 5 August (NW Regional Series Event)
- Tuesday 26 August
With a race start time of 7pm these events make a perfect mid-week hit-out!
The cost per race is £9.99 for BTF members and £12.99 for non-BTF members, and £4.99/£5.99 for Youths (BTF age group A).
The events are being held at Salford Watersports Centre, 15 The Quays, Salford Quays, M50 3SQ.
Events will take place alongside the usual open water swimming sessions.
Direction to Salford Quays
From the M60, take junction 12 for the M602 into Salford. The Quays are 500m off the M602 at junction 3 – follow signs for ‘The Quays’.
From the M602, turning right onto Trafford Road, you approach a set of lights some 200m further on. Go through these until you see a Tesco on the left. Turn right here. Follow the road round to the right, then to the left crossing over tramlines. You will be see the Watersports Centre dock on your left at this point. Continue straight on until you reach the Watersports Centre on the left hand side. Additional parking can be found in the Lowry multi storey or the Quays Grill House adjacent the Centre.
Provisional Event Programme
- 1815 hrs - Registration open @ Salford Watersports Centre
- 1830 hrs - Transition open
- 1850 hrs - Race briefing in transition
- 1900 hrs - Start of open race
Registration is open from 1815 hrs until 1845 hrs. At Registration, please ensure that you receive a race number & 4 safety pins.
BTF members must bring their up to date race licences or will be required to purchase a day licence. Non-BTF members will be issued with a day licence
As in previous years, to swim in the Quays you must register with Salford Watersports Centre. Contact the Centre for details – 0161 877 7252 or visit their website for further details.
- Transition is open from 1830 hrs
- Transition is directly in front of the swim exit outside the Watersports Centre
- The surface is brick paved
- Transition is one way only – please see diagram at reception
- All positions will be numbered
- Only competitors will be allowed in transition
- Seniors swim 1 large lap (red) and 1 small lap (green) for 800m
- Juniors (BTF A) swim 1 large lap (red) for 500m
- The swim course starts in deep water and is swum in a clockwise direction.
- Please take care entering and exiting the water on the concrete ramp. Ensure you use the anti-slip matting.
- Exit transition and follow the course towards the Lowry Theatre following the arrows.
- The course is on traffic-free pathways around Salford quays.
- The run course is a very simple out and back 1.25km loop.
- Seniors run 4 laps for 5km.
- Juniors (BTF A) run 2 laps for 2.5km.
- The turnaround point, behind the Lowry Theatre, is very clearly signed with cones and barrier tape.
- It is the responsibility of competitors to count their own laps.
The event is conducted under the rules of the British Triathlon Federation, available at www.britishtriathlon.org.
In addition please note:
- The race briefing at 1850 is compulsory for all competitors
- Wetsuits for the swim are compulsory unless the water temperature exceeds 14º C. The water temperature will be posted at registration.
- Swim hats must be worn at all times during the swim.
- Race belts are permitted.
- Do not alter or trim your race number in any way
- Time penalties will be awarded for impeding other competitors. Please ensure that your wetsuit is placed in your plastic tub.
- Please follow all instructions given by race marshals and officials.
- Take care when entering/exiting the water.
- Safety boats, and rescue kayaks will be on hand to assist where necessary.
- Results will be published online as soon after the event as possible.
- Please do not ask the timekeepers for your time or placing whilst the race is in progress.